Sunday, November 16, 2008

Technology and hearing

I watched a documentary on cochlear inplants on Discovery Channel a while back, and here's a little story about someone else who's gotten them:
GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- Her story began nearly six months ago with a decision to sacrifice her hearing in order to remove a dangerous tumor from her brain stem.

Jessica Stone has a condition called Neurofibromatosis, which causes tumors to grow throughout her body. The Michigan woman has had 20 removed since the age of 15.

The most serious surgery occured last spring when doctors removed a tumor pressing on her brain stem. It left Jessica completely deaf.

We've followed Jessica in the days leading up to that surgery, and through her transition into a world without sound.

But a few months ago, Jessica learned she might be able to hear again with the aid of cochlear implants.

After her surgery in April, Jessica began chronicling her journey into silence through video blogs -- from her home in Muskegon to her frequent trips to Chicago to the moments before her cochlear implant surgery.

It hasn't been an easy five months for Jessica.

"I feel kind of left out and secluded on a lot of things," she said.

Even a simple walk along Lake Michigan is filled with silent waves crashing on the beach.

"Every day I wake up and I have to remind myself this is your life you have to keep doing this because I don't give up."

Jessica hasn't. She was determined to learn to live in a deaf world.

Using her new blackberry to keep connected with friends and family, learning to drive without the radio, and she's even learned to play the drums by feeling the vibrations they make.

After mastering her new skills, she finds herself at yet another crossroad in life.

"Maybe I'll hear my dog whining to go outside in the morning or my dad playing guitar or be able to call my mom and tell her all the stupid things I did today."

Because, maybe, Jessica will be able to hear again.

In September she underwent surgery for a cochlear implant. Now, she's waiting to learn if her world will no longer be silent.

It means another trip to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, a visit with another doctor, and unfortunately, shaving her head one more time to attach the implant.

Dr. Teresa Zwolan with the University of Michigan Cochlear Implant Program begins with a series a beeps to test Jessica's hearing.

Jessica Stone: "I think I'm getting something."

Jessica's mom and dad hold their breath -- waiting -- hoping.

Jessica stone: "Yeah, I got it!"

But those first sounds are only a first step.

After all, they still need to learn whether or not Jessica can hear more than beeps but voices too.

"Hello Jessica, one, two, three, four, five."

Jessica Stone: "No, I'm just getting beeping."

A few more adjustments...

"1-2-3-4-5."

Jessica Stone: "1-2-3-4-5??"

"Beep beep beep"

Jessica: "Beep, beep, beep?"

"Yeah, very good."

And for the first time in five months, she hears her parent's voices.

Dad: "I love you."

Jessica: "I love you?"

It's an unbelievable ending.

Jessica Stone: "I never thought I was going to hear my parents say I love you and I did today.

"I can hear again. I want to cry I'm so happy about it."

It even surprised her doctors.

Dr. Zwolan said,"She's our first. She's our first like this and she's unique and she's special."

The voices that Jessica hears don't sound like they do to you and me. She describes them as robotic like Rosie the Robot on the Jetsons.

But she's kept that positive attitude saying now she has the best of both worlds. She can hear her parent's voices, but if she doesn't want to listen to their advice she can just take off the implant.

2008 will be a year Jessica will never forget. It's the year she learned to appreciate the little things.

The year she learned that sometimes acceptance, a positive attitude and a little faith can move mountains.

Jessica already has plans for her future. She says she wants to become a patient advocate for Neurofibromatosis and live in Chicago.

Source

Fantastic stuff!