Saturday, August 29, 2009

Practicing yoga outdoors

The environment in which we do our yoga is very important. The science of yoga teaches that what we see, hear, smell, and feel all have an effect on the body, mind, and soul. It is counterproductive to practice yoga asanas in an environment where the air is dead, stuffy, smelly, or low in oxygen or where there's distracting noise or chatter.

That’s why Wai Lana yoga mats loves to practice outside, especially by the ocean. It is an atmosphere that is noncompetitive and spiritually inspiring.

Wai Lana even practices outdoors when it’s cold. “I like to practice outside in the fresh air. I just layer my clothes. I wear tights under my sweatpants when it's really cold, and a turtleneck under a sweater with a light jacket I can take off once I get warmed up. And that doesn't usually take very long! Out in the fresh air, the asanas and breathing techniques quickly oxygenate and warm my entire body,” says Wai Lana.

There's another element at work outside, too—negative ions. These negatively charged particles in the air are found in great numbers in forests and around oceans, rivers, or streams. Negative ions make you feel alert and invigorated and reduce anxiety and depression. According to researchers, this is because they increase our capacity to absorb and utilize oxygen so that it reaches our cells and tissues more quickly. That's a remarkably similar effect to that of yoga asanas, so why not combine the two for a double dose of feel-good energy!